Freestanding Gas Grills: An Outdoor Cooking Classic
Shopping for a freestanding gas grill can present some challenges given the number of options on the market. Outdoor cooking is becoming more and more popular, and many manufacturers are looking to capitalize on this trend. It can be tough to tell the difference between getting the best freestanding BBQ and a cheaply made grill on wheels from a big-box store that promises the best prices on gas grills.
This is where Kickass Grills comes in to make the process easier for our customers. We've combed the freestanding gas grill market and selected only the highest quality brands and models for our collection. This means that every gas grill and standing BBQ you see here is one you can feel safe investing in for your home, knowing it will bring you years of enjoyment.
Why Buy a Freestanding Gas Grill
What is it about freestanding grills that makes them such a popular choice for homeowners around the country? The details will vary from customer to customer, but in all our years in the industry, we've noticed a few common factors. These are the things Kickass Grills customers get when they buy one of our high quality gas cart grills:
- Convenience - Cooking with propane or natural gas has the big upside of being easy to use. While a charcoal grill can take time, effort and skill to start up, the process of how to light propane grills and natural gas grills is a snap. With just the turn of a knob, you'll be grilling in no time.
- Mobility - While all types of gas grill have many things in common, the main selling point of a free-standing grill is the ease with which they can be moved around. Having wheels means you can place your grill where you need it whenever you need to, adding another layer of utility.
- Versatility - The last major selling point for freestanding gas grills is the huge range of cooking options they offer. With the even heat distribution of liquid propane and natural gas burners, you can achieve everything from high-heat searing to slow-and-low roasting after lighting the grill.
What to Consider when Shopping for a Freestanding Gas Grill
Even though we've curated our offerings to just the best brands on the market, we still carry a wide variety of freestanding gas grills, so finding the right BBQ unit for your needs will still require some consideration. While our product specialists are happy to offer their expertise, it can be helpful to do some research to find what you do and don't need. Major factors that Kickass Grills customers keep in mind when buying a freestanding gas grill include:
- Fuel Type - Like other types of gas grill, freestanding units are generally available for either natural gas or liquid propane use. Natural gas is considerably less common in this sector of the industry than propane grills with storage space in the cart for a tank. The two fuel types are not interchangeable, so it's important to know which of the two you plan to use before buying. To ensure safe use, we recommend addressing fuel type questions to a licensed gas plumber.
- Size - The grills on our site are available in a range of sizes from 22 to 56 inches. Our smaller grills generally offer approximately 300 square inches of cooking space, while the largest units have as much as 1000 square inches of cooking area. While we're all prone to wanting the biggest and most powerful grill we can afford, it's important to keep in mind that larger grills have their own drawbacks. Finding a grill that's just the right size will ensure you get the most enjoyment out of your investment for years to come.
- Price - Because we've curated our collection to only include the top grill brands on the market, our selection tends to skew more toward the higher-priced end. However, we do carry a number of more affordable models, ensuring there's something here for almost any budget. When it comes to pricing, it's important to remember that you get what you pay for. A cheap grill that needs to be replaced in a couple summers will cost you more in the long run than a quality grill that will last for many years.
- Material - While on the surface it may seem that all grills are made from metal and that's that, the truth is more complex. Many cheap grills are made from thin metals that are prone to corrosion. Our selection of grills on the other hand are almost exclusively made from 304 stainless steel, the industry standard for corrosion resistance. Some of the grills we carry are made from 316 marine-grade stainless steel, an alloy specially formulated for use near water, particularly saltwater. In addition, most of our grills feature heavy-duty cast iron grates designed to give deep, rich sear marks and exceptional flavor.
- Features - Beyond construction quality, the thing that defines our freestanding grill offerings as some of the best in the industry is the rich set of features they offer. With options like infrared burners, drop-in griddles and rotisserie kits to name a few, it's possible to turn your outdoor freestanding gas grill into a complete cooking suite. Buying the best grill with side burners can open up tons of new possibilities, but grills without side burners are a great choice as well.
Freestanding Gas Grill FAQs
- What kinds of food can I cook on a gas grill? In short: if you can cook it on a stovetop or in an oven, you can cook it on a grill. With the tools and accessories available from Kickass Grills, a freestanding gas grill can be one of the most versatile cooking options on the market.
- How do I light my gas grill? Lighting a freestanding gas grill is a simple process. The details will vary by brand and model, but the basic process involves turning on the gas supply, turning the burner knobs and activating the igniter. In a pinch, you can also light your gas grill with a lighter or match.
- How long will a gas barbecue grill last? If you buy a quality freestanding gas grill from Kickass Grills, you can count on it lasting at least five years. With proper care and maintenance, there's no real upper limit on how long a gas grill can last.
- How do I clean a gas grill? Cleaning a gas grill is a simple but important part of getting the most out of it. A non-scratch cloth, some soapy water and a stainless steel cleaning solution are all you need to keep your grill in tip-top shape for years to come.
- What are the best brands of gas grill? Any brand you see on our site is one that our team has vetted for quality. Some of the most popular freestanding grill brands in our collection include Napoleon, Blaze, Evo, Broil King, Bull and American Outdoor Grill.